Mold is always there, whether on the surface or in the air! It has been on our planet for millions of years and it just needs a bit of moisture to grow. Therefore, if you live in a humid region then there are numerous chances that you will be exposed to mold in the air. The thing is, it doesn’t require a certain season if the moisture is right, it will start growing no matter what.
Therefore, there are different steps you need to take if you want to avoid the growth of mold in your home. In this post, we will provide you with all the details associated with how mold affects human health. Let’s discuss some imperative points in this issue:
What is this mold?
It is a kind of fungus and it has minuscule organisms and you can find it almost anywhere. Mold can be black, green orange, or purple. The outdoor mold has a significant role to lay in natures because it can decompose the fallen leaves, trees and plants. Molds prefer moist or damp conditions and they reproduce with the tiny spores that can travel in the air.
For this reason, you are exposed to mold in the air on a daily basis. In a small amount, spores are harmless but if they land on the damp area they immediately start to grow and release their pores indoor. These spores get inhaled in large members and the residents start to feel different health problems.
Causes of mold
Mold is a result of excessive moisture and it can be caused by pipe leakage, the rising damp from the ground floor or basement or even rain seeping from the windows and the roof. If there is mold then you need to ask yourself a question that there is excessive moisture in your home. You know the source of the problem, so you need to cure the problem.
Mold is present in the outdoors and indoors and most of it enters your home from windows, doors, vents, heating systems, and air conditioners. Mold can also attach itself to almost anything including curtains, clothes, pets, shoes, and bags. Where there is a lot of moisture, you will ultimately find mold. Mold experiences a rapid growth on cardboard, paper, wood and ceiling tiles. It can also grow in dust, wallpaper, paints, drywall, insulation, fabric, upholstery and carpet.
Mold and its health effects
Some individuals are very sensitive to mold in the air. If mold is there these people will experience nasal stuffiness wheezing, coughing, throat irritations and skin and eyes irritation. Some folks are allergic to mold in the air and they may experience more severe reactions.
Individuals with their immunity compromised or the ones with chronic lung issues might experience a serious reaction when they get exposed to mold in the air. Therefore, these people need to stay away from the areas where there is even the slightest chance of mold growth. These areas include cut grass, wooded areas, and compost piles.
In the year 2004, IOM or the Institute of Medicine found a sufficient piece of evidence to connect mold with different upper respiratory tract issues like wheeze and cough among healthy people, individuals with asthma and hypersensitivity pneumonitis. Children exposed to mold in the air can also face respiratory illness.
In another study, IOM also connects exposure to damp environments with respiratory issues. According to another study in 2009 conducted by WHO shows that an early age mold exposure can develop asthma especially among the children who are more prone to asthma development. There is another study that connects mold with acute idiopathic pulmonary hemorrhage in the infants but this study has not been proven yet.
Mold can make you sicker if you are already ill
If you have been suffering from any chronic disease of respiratory systems like cystic fibrosis or asthma then you need to protect yourself from mold exposure. Frequent exposure might result in severe allergic reactions. People with their immune system compromised must also avoid these places. If you have has a bone marrow transplant or chemotherapy then you are at even greater risk of developing invasive bronchopulmonary aspergillosis that can destroy lung tissue.
Who is at risk from mold in the air?
For the people who are sensitive to mold, any type of exposure can trigger allergic reactions. These include runny nose, sneezing, red eyes, and skin rashes. People who have these severe allergies will have even more severe reactions like even shortness of breath.
In addition to the people who have asthma and allergies, others who can be very sensitive include the elderly people, children, infants, people who have their immune system compromised, and people with chronic lung issues.
Can mold be controlled?
Within your home you can control it by monitoring the humidity levels within your house, timely fixing any kinds of leaks, thorough cleaning as well as drying after flooding and adequately ventilating the cooking, laundry, and shower areas.
If the mold in the air has entered your home then you need to clean it and fix the leakage or moisture problem. You can use different types of commercial products to remove mold growth. You can also use water and soap as well as bleach to solve this issue. Ensure that you only use no more than 1 cup of bleach in a gallon of water.
Mold in the air can have different colors and they smell musty. If you can smell or see mold then there is a health concern present. The types of mold don’t need to be identified because the CDC doesn’t recommend sampling it. Regardless of the type of mold, you need to remove it and make sure that it doesn’t grow in the future.
You need to take care of mold every now and then. Its spores can do much unless they find moisture and damp. When this happens their growth starts at a rapid rate. And then they settle inside your home. Now you are even more exposed to mold in the air because this time all the pores released will be right in your home and this is where the problem starts.
It is important that you need to get rid of the mold using bleach, soap or any other chemical for cleaning, just make sure that you seal the moisture as well otherwise mold will return. It is crucial that you must prevent the growth of mold in your house and keep your place free of humidity if you want to keep yourself and your family safe from mold.
Have you had any experience with mold? How did you tackle the scenarios? Leave your comment below and we will get back to you.